If you have, you’re one of the millions who have done a Google Image Search. You probably got hundreds of results. However did you know that the majority of photos out there on the Internet are protected by some type of copyright? And YOU do NOT have authority to just use them.
The good but not so good news is that most companies and people do not police their copyrighted images and content very well. Meaning, they may never know that you have copied and pasted it or saved it or used it in some way.
However… as technology continues to evolve, IF you can FIND images to use, you can be FOUND using them. It’s just a matter of time
There are those few companies out there, including the stock image photo companies themselves, who already actively POLICE their content and will slap a lawsuit on you so fast it will make your head spin!
You want to be mindful of using photos online so you don’t get a “cease and desist” letter from an attorney, because by then it’s too late!
Therefore, you want to know how to legally use images from searches on the Internet.
Here are some sources for Free or Paid Images or Content Online (there are more options but this can get you started – see me for more resources and advice!):
- Pixabay.com – Copyright-free images. Safe to use–even for commercial purposes– without asking permission or giving credit to the artist
- Dreamstime.com – Royalty-free does NOT mean Copyright-free. You will pay a license fee.
- Canva.com – You can use their images and layouts to create fun images for your website, social media and marketing materials
Remember, it’s about COPYRIGHT LAW.
You could be breaking the law and you don’t even know it!
2 things you could do now to AVOID TROUBLE and/or take a next step:
I also offer a complimentary Copyright Consultation. If you would like to know:
- if YOU or YOUR COMPANY is already breaking the law
- what you can do to avoid those “cease and desist” letters
- how to update your systems to utilize copyrighted materials safely and legally
- how to protect YOUR OWN content from others stealing or using it without YOUR authorization!
Leave a comment below!Barbara C. Ingrassia, MLS, AHIP, CCMCertified Copyright Manager, Speaker and Trainer508-277-0709–Manage Copyright. Don’t Let it Manage You! ℠–Get your FREE Report:The 10 Biggest Copyright Mistakes that Small Businesses Make (that could land you in court)..And How to Avoid Them online at www.managecopyright.com–Connect with me online:–––